Let’s say you’re going on vacation for a few weeks. You might think it’s a win-win situation to let your children use your home in a 55+ community so they can vacation in Florida. So, is this something that can be done?
First, it’s important to mention that rules and regulations will always vary depending on the community, so it’s best to check with them. However, a general rule is that guests of any age can stay in the home for up to 15 days at a time twice a year.
Technically, this means that your children could come and use your home while you were away, but they likely won’t be able to use any of the community amenities like the swimming pool. Often times, guests must have a resident present with them in order to use the community amenities. It’s usually best to check with your community before having guests stay in home your, whether you will be there or not.
You may also wonder if your children can inherit your home. A federal law governs the age of people living in a 55 plus community. The law states that at least 80 percent of people living in a 55 plus community must be over the age of 55, the other 20 percent can be no younger than the minimum age established for the community. That age is often 45.
That being said, there is no law currently that governs ownership of a home, so your children would be able to own your home no matter their age. Whether or not they would be able to inherit the home and live there is dependent on a few factors including the community and their age.
In general, having your children or grandchildren visit should not be an issue in most communities. If you’re planning on moving to a Florida 55+ community, be sure to ask what their visitation policies are prior to moving in. This will help save you headaches in the future.
Have other questions about moving to a Florida 55+ community? Email sales@NewbyRealty.com to find the perfect home for you! You can also download our free 55+ Moving Guide to find answers to questions like this and many more!